So progress on my Koffing cosplay has officially begun. I bought a shirt for it at the thrift store. It's the perfect color, one sleeve is shorter than the other (I am indifferent to this), it has a hood, and it had this ugly little seashell thing with seahorses painted on it sewn onto the front. It took me two days to stitch-rip the thing off, and I ended up taking chunks of the shirt with it. I still haven't decided what to do to cover that up, but I'm thinking just stitch it and then make small holes and stitches all over the shirt, make it look intentional. I also took in the sides of the shirt some, since it had no shape to it whatsoever.
It's a little bit big on me, which I love, it hangs well, and the fabric is super comfy. I decided to put the little bump things on the hood instead of making a hat and trying to match fabric and stuff, but I'm having trouble getting fabric pieces big enough to make the bumps. I tried using the extra from where I took the shirt in, but it wasn't big enough. I guess I'm going to cut the longer sleeve to match the other one and use the fabric from that.
Really, it doesn't look like I did anything to the shirt if you've never seen it before, but whatever. In the picture, I wanted to compare the size of the little bump thing to the rest of the shirt to see if it was big enough, so I balanced my wig head on top of my dress form. Earlier that day, I figured out that I could take the top off of my dress form and attach a wig head. That might creep me out though.
I also finally started working on my boyfriend's Magikarp cosplay. It's going both faster and slower than I thought it would. On the one hand, when I get a chunk done, it's a huge chunk. On the other hand, details area pain. I cut out the two main parts of the tail and sewed the back together (needed a seam down the back for roundness) and attached the tail to it (a secondary reason for the seam). I added all of the scale outlines to the front piece (pictured left), and I started adding them to the back, but didn't finish.
The Magikarp wig has been sitting in the sewing room since February, but my boyfriend finally bought the yellow extensions that we needed for the front of it. They're just the cheap Hot Topic kind, but I'm hoping with some hair spray or something they'll be manageable. Usually when I wear that kind in my own hair, people can't tell if it's real or not, so as long as no one looks too closely, they're passable. My boyfriend looks like an Asian rock star in his wig, which is hilarious because he's Mexican but is always mistaken for being Asian. (I promised him I wouldn't post pictures online, but I'll be able to after the con.)