Backlog (Days 843 - 861)

Alright, so here's what I've been working on as of late and haven't really posted about.

First, Kingdom Hearts Maids Group:
I'm being Aqua (far right)

Amazing fabric purchase at the thrift store
I'm doing this as part of a group that includes Kairi, Namine, and Xion, and we're wearing it on Sunday of Kin-Yoobi Con. Kairi, Namine, and Xion were all going to volunteer for the cosplay cafe, but Xion has to leave the convention before that time, so it's just Kairi and Namine. I would also volunteer, but I have to run a different event at that time.

The first thing I made was the name tags, since I had all of the materials and they were easy. They're roughly the same size, Kairi's and Namine's only look so much smaller because of the angle the photo was taken at. Just today, I found pins to put on the back. Originally I was content with sewing mine directly to my apron, but since I already own the pins, I have no reason not to use them. The name tags are felt with the lettering and outline done in white puff paint. The paint is the same paint that I used on my Pac-man pants, which puffs up when you steam it. I made a test tag and puffed it, but it looked absolutely horrible, so I decided not to do the rest. 

I've also almost finished the apron for Aqua. The color is much better in the previous picture of the fabric. The apron is too long, but it'll be easy to shorten. I already have the fabric cut for the skirt, I just haven't sewn it yet. I'm using the shirt that I used for Maid Yoko, and I'll wearing a white tank top underneath to cover the rest of my back (as Yoko's was bare midriff). I already own the petticoat and thigh-high black stockings (both of which were also used for Maid Yoko).

We're altering the designs slightly, since no one seems to like the random stripe of color on the bottom of the aprons (doesn't really bother me), we're doing colored ruffles instead. I bought ribbon for the ruffles, since it was cheaper than fabric or bias tape.








Next, Baccano! Group!

Miria from "Baccano!"
 I can't even begin to explain how excited I am for this. I live near historic Niles, the place where Charlie Chaplin shot a lot of his movies, and it's also an old train town. On weekends, they run steam trains (other times, they run diesel trains, which earn't ass exciting). So after watching Baccano!, I got the idea to go on the steam trains as the characters.

Now, normally I agree with the widely-accepted idea that cosplay in public (outside of conventions) is a bad idea, however I believe there are a few conditions that this falls under. The clothing in Baccano! is hardly conspicuous, other than being old-fashioned. Niles being the historic town that it is, people dress up to go there very frequently, I have been there on several occasions, not even during festivals or events, and seen people (both men and women) walking down the street dressed in historic clothing. In addition, there's an event going on the weekend that we chose to go, and other people will most likely be dressed up as well. When I went to the train station to get an updated steam train schedule, one of the men working there told me that people come dressed up on the trains quite frequently. I believe that as long as we are polite to other people and more or less keep to ourselves, we will have no problems and everyone will have a wonderful time.

The thrift store never fails!
I decided early on that I would cosplay Miria, as Isaac and Miria are by far my favorite characters from Baccano!. If it weren't for them, I would have stopped watching after probably the third or fourth episode. I chose to do the red dress that she wears on the train, since we're going to be on a train, and it's her most recognizable and least conspicuous outfit. (A close second choice was her Charlie Chaplin outfit because we're going to be in Niles.) I invited a couple of friends along for a group, and before I knew it, my group of four or five grew to about 8, including the photographer (we also have a lot of people saying "maybe").

My original plan was to buy a red dress from the thrift store and alter it, however, many trips proved fruitless, and I nearly gave up. I decided that if one more trip to the thrift store didn't provide anything, I'd just make the entire dress myself (I already had a pattern anyway). Well lo and behold, the perfect dress appeared. Even though it's a size 8 (and I'm like a size -5, I tiny), I tried it on, and it fit! It's a little loose around the waist, but it's doesn't even matter. I went home and discovered that the red fabric that I used for the red triangles on my White Mage robe is a perfect match for the extra ruffle. I love when a cosplay just falls directly into my lap.

The dress as it is now.
I bought black fabric from JoAnn's and long black gloves from Daiso. Also while at JoAnn's, I picket up my first pair of pinking shears, which are the best thing to ever happen to sewing ever. Seriously. I have no idea how I ever did anything without them.

I began by altering the dress adding the extra ruffle. That was super easy. My boyfriend had to hold the dress while I pinned it on though, and he didn't enjoy having pins anywhere near him.Then I took a new friend's advice and cut the top ruffle down the middle and across the top and added it to the sleeves. The black trim around the top will hide the cut edges left from the ruffle.  I cut out the black fabric that I needed for the top and the trim on the sleeves, and added the trim to the sleeves. After that, I did a strange combination of gathering and pleating to get the sleeves where I want them. In the photo, only the sleeve on the left is finished, the one on the right is only partially pinned, which is why it's hanging lower.

No comments:

Post a Comment