Ahead of Schedule!? (Day 442)

I'm not entirely sure that the phrase "ahead of schedule" is in my vocabulary, and yet it's true. Since I finally decided that I'm going to wear Franziska to AOD, I actually started fixing her up. I needed to make a new neck ruffle because the one I had was too big and flawed in various technical ways, and I need to shorten the outer vest by about two to four inches. Shortening the vest shouldn't be a problem, since I'll just be opening up the bottom and re-sewing it. Now, if I had to re-do the arm holes or something, I might have a problem, but, nah.

Today, I began remaking the neck ruffle. I got as far as pleating and poofing the actual ruffle part and cutting out and hemming two sides of the part that goes around my neck. Throughout the process, I was reminded of how much I hate pleating, especially box pleats that are only two inches wide on a piece of fabric that just refuses to be a perfect square.

I also used a different type of fabric this time than I did last time. Last time, I used this lovely fabric that creased like paper, yet ironed out really well, and was rather stiff. It was sort of a cop-out to get the volume that I wanted. This time, after wearing the cosplay and seeing photos, I realized that it didn't need that much volume. So I returned to what was actually my original fabric for it. I found it in the section of JoAnn's where the fabric for suits is (the fabric I used for Franziska's vests), so it also mixes well with the fabrics I have and just makes sense.

I like the texture and weight of this fabric a whole lot more too, but it's a pain to work with. It's somewhat stretchy, so when I pinned it down to the ironing board to measure or iron it, I needed a bunch of pins, and yet it was still nearly impossible to get straight lines (which is how it refused to be square). It's also sort of slippery and clingy at the same time. It would slip against my fingers, but then cling to itself and it was hard to get it to fold the right way. It also didn't like the iron and doesn't crease easily. Yet once it does get a crease, it's hard to get it out.

I'm fairly certain that I'll be able to finish both the collar and the vest in two days' time, the only thing that's left to be determined is what two days I'll actually work on it. Then all that's left is to continue the hunt for a brown riding crop and black leather women's gloves. I actually found a brown riding crop online for only $5 (forget what shipping was), but I'm very suspicious of it, since their usually between $25 and $50.

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget